Gmail now lets you block users, and here’s how you can do it
Gmail is rolling a new feature today, and one that could be very useful.
Google’s email service now allows users to block email senders directly from an email.
Google Hangouts (formerly Google Talk), has had the option to block a contact, for a very long time. But it was not until today that you could directly block a sender.
Let’s face it, most people will have had experiences with some not-so-friendly people or ex-colleagues or ex-classmates, who were bullies or annoyed you a lot. Instead of taking up a fight with such people, it would be wiser to avoid them altogether, without hurting their feelings. So muting emails from such people sounds like a great idea, and this is what Gmail’s new block feature does.
Filter messages vs Blocking a sender:
Well, to be honest, the average user might not even be aware of the “Filter messages like these…” option, let alone know how to configure it to work. It is perhaps for this reason that Google has made the block option available, as it is very user friendly.
It is also possible that the filter options may let through emails if it wasn’t configured well, but Gmail’s block puts any incoming email from the blocked person straight in to the spam folder.
Google says that the block feature isn’t available on Android devices yet, but for some weird reason, the announcement features screenshots from its Android app. While I can confirm that the phone app does not have the feature yet, the web version does have it and it works fine, and here’s how you can do it.
How to block someone in Gmail:
1. Open the mail, the sender of which you want to block.
2. Click on the drop down menu (down arrow icon)
3. Select the Block “user” (refer to the above image)
4. A pop-up window will state that “Incoming emails from the usersname <firstname.lastname@example.org> will be moved to Spam”. Confirm the action by clicking on the Block button.
5. That’s it, you’re done. You will no longer see the emails which the sender sends to you.
How to unblock someone in Gmail:
1. Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of Gmail’s UI.
2. Select the option which says “Settings”.
3. Click on the “Filters and Blocklist” options.
4. Scroll all the way down and you should see an option which says “The following senders are blocked….”
5. Check the box next to the sender whom you wish to unblock and click on the “Unblock selected senders”.
6. A pop-up window will ask you to confirm the action, which you can by clicking on the “Unblock” button.
Gmail’s block feature is already available for all users, so go ahead and give it a shot.