How to change the wallpaper in Windows 10
Last week, we taught you how to find the location of the default wallpapers in Windows 10.
This week, we are going to guide you on something more basic, especially for new users.
Wallpapers or desktop backgrounds, are one of the most popular areas of customization, in any operating system. This applies to Windows, Mac, Linux and even those which power smartphones iOS, Android and Windows Mobile. There are thousands of websites where you an download wallpapers from, but do you know how to use them.
Windows 10 offers a variety of options to change the wallpaper. Let’s take a look at the most common methods.
How to change the wallpaper in Windows 10:
Method 1: The Basic way
1. Right-click on an empty space in the desktop.
2. Select the option which says “Personalize”.
3. The Settings app will open and the Background tab will be displayed.
Alternatively you can click on the Start Menu > Settings > Personalization > Background option.
Click on the Start Menu and type the word “Background” or “Wallpaper” and click on the option which has a gear icon (System Setting) to be taken to the tab mentioned in step 3.
4. Now, you have three main options. The first is a drop-down menu called background.
5. Click on it, and it will allow you to set a wallpaper, a solid color or a slideshow (alternating pictures)
6. Choose an option and then on the second main option, “Choose your picture”. This will allow you to select your desktop wallpaper. You can either pick one from the default Windows wallpapers or hit the browse button to open a File Explorer dialog, which will let you select any wallpaper which you have downloaded.
Method 2: Better navigation
1. Click on the Start button > File Explorer.
2. Use the built-in file manager of Windows, to navigate to the Pictures folder or any folder which has a wallpaper.
3. Right-click on the image and select the option “Set as desktop background”.
4. Alternatively, you may double click on it to open Photos or the Windows Photo Viewer to preview the wallpaper (learn how to set it as your default image viewer in Windows 10).
4a. Photos app – Click on the the three dot menu > Set as > Desktop Background.
4b. Windows Photo Viewer – Right-click on the image (or anywhere in the app) and select the option “Set as dektop background”
You can customize the wallpaper’s settings from the Background tab mentioned in method one, to choose a fit option. The options available are: Fill, Fit, Stretch, Tile and Center.