How to fix Windows 10 failed update if you are an Avast user ?
Windows 10 1803 update which is also called the April Update, has been known to cause a lot of issues. One of those issues affected users who were using Avast Antivirus, their PCs simply would not update to the latest version of the OS and got stuck on a blue screen. But there is a solution for this, and here’s how to fix Windows 10 failed update.
There are some things you will need, including a working PC and a USB Flash drive with a storage capacity of 8GB. Why? Because you need to download the latest Windows 10 ISO and create a bootable USB.
This process could take a while, because of the whole download, creating the disk and of course the Windows update thing.
- We already have a how to create a Windows 10 bootable USB guide ready for you. Use it to prepare the flash drive. Remember to check if you are using a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
- Now, you can turn on the computer which you need to fix.
- If you see a blue screen, select the keyboard language you want to use.
- Choose the “use another operating system option”, and pick the 2nd option which should say “Windows 10 on volume X” or something similar.
- Reboot the computer and the PC should prepare for the update, and close any error messages.
- Plug the bootable USB which you created to the PC.
- Open the task manager by right-clicking on the task bar.
- Click on “More details” and select File > Run new task. A dialog box appears with an option to run the task with administrative privileges.
- Select the option and click on browse and go to the USB drive which has the Windows setup.exe. Run it.
- When it asks you to select “Check for new updates”and “help make Windows better”, uncheck the options.
- Select the option to keep all your data.
- Wait for the upgrade process to complete.
That’s it. You have fixed your PC. And you can use this information to help other users, who wish to know how to fix Windows 10 failed update.
So, what was causing this issue anyway? According to Avast’s announcement, the antivirus’ internet shield on older versions of the program are not compatible with the Windows 10 1803 Update. An automatic update has been released to address the issue, and the VPS number for it is 180524-08.
If you have that version or newer your PC should be fine.