Now Reading
Valve removes paid mods from Steam, will refund users who bought the mods
0

Valve removes paid mods from Steam, will refund users who bought the mods

by AshwinApril 28, 2015

A few days ago we reported that Valve, introduced a controversial feature: Paid mods, in to its digital game distribution service, Steam.

Steam

It has not even been a week since it was introduced, but Valve has announced that paid mods have been removed.

Thousands of gamers took to the internet, voicing their concern that paid mods should be removed. In our previous report, we also supported this: Mods should be free. Any user who buys the original game should get access to mods for free.

However, we are aware that mods require a great deal of work, and developers can earn money through them. But not through paid mods, instead users should have options to help developers, i.e donations and advertisements.

But many people involved in the gaming industry (Steam’s affiliates) supported paid mods, and welcomed the move. Even Valve’s founder, Gabe Newell and Garry’s Mod creator, Garry Newman took to social media and expressed their thoughts to support paid mods.

Users didn’t take them lightly and slammed their opinions. Valve, feared that the user backlash could harm Steam, and decided to remove paid mods from Elder scrolls Skyrim. It was the only game which had paid mods, and was kind of like a trial for both its developer and Steam.

Steam has announced that all paid mods have been removed from the Skyrim workshop, and that users who purchased the mods will be getting a full refund.

Here is what the official statement from Steam reads:

“We’ve done this because it’s clear we didn’t understand exactly what we were doing. We’ve been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they’ve been received well. It’s obvious now that this case is different.”

Steam says it understood that its community did not like paid mods, and reiterated that all it wanted to do was give modders an opportunity to work on mods full time, and provide better support for it. It was earlier reported that mod developers earned just 25% of the revenue that a mod makes on Steam, with the other 75% divided between Steam and the Game Studios.

Bethesda, the game studio behind The Elder Scrolls also released a statement:

After discussion with Valve, and listening to our community, paid mods are being removed from Steam Workshop. Even though we had the best intentions, the feedback has been clear – this is not a feature you want. Your support means everything to us, and we hear you.

Steam however doesn’t sound all apologetic, and the last line of its statement is quite rude. This is what it says:

“Now that you’ve backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we’ll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know. “

It is good to see that they are backing down from an atrocious model, which could have well resulted PC gaming transforming in a disastrous freemium stage, like Mobile gaming has become.

Leave a Response