WinZip 19 Pro Review.
Having a good compression program can be very important for users. You can greatly decrease the size of any file and send it via email or upload to an Internet server. Some sites only provide files in a compressed format and the end user must have a way of opening these archives to make use of the files.
WinZip is one of the oldest file archive programs. The first WinZip 1.0 version was released in 1991. Even today it is one of the most widely used compressors on the software market. Its name is synonymous for quality and perfection.
The new version has a lot of improvements and innovations such as rich file management, more flexible file conversion, streamlined sharing and more. WinZip is among the most popular compression utilities in the world. That being said, there is no other file compression program that provides such a simple-to-use and wide array of features the way WinZip does. With this program you can save both time and computer disk space.
The initial installer is pretty small, just about 1Mb (the current version is 19 (11293)); it is a stub web-installer, that after installation of all necessary packages, takes up only slightly more than 100Mb of hard disk space.
The program comes in two different versions- Standard-$29.95 and Pro-$49.95. The Pro version has some additional features, such as backups, etc. but the Standard version contains a lot of the features that are more than suitable enough for most users.
System requirements are as follows:
1. Windows XP- Windows 8/8.1
2. Internet Explorer 8.0 or later
3. About 300Mb of free hard disk space for installation
4. Active Internet connection for registering the program.
The program is available in twelve languages- English, Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Italian, Korean, Chinese, Russian, Dutch and Czech.
WinZip supports the following archive types: 7Z, B64 (Base64- Stuffit Encoded file archive), BHX BinHex compressed file ascii archive), BZ, BZ2 Data compression format mainly used for UNIX/LINUX operating system), CAB (Cabinet File-the format of Microsoft),GZ, HQX, LHA, LZH (Data compression format developed by Haruyasu Yoshizaki. At first it was used for other platforms, but later also for the Windows operating system), MIM (Multi-Purpose Internet Mail Extensions), RAR (Roshal Archive), TAR( Tape Archive), TAZ, TBZ, TBZ2, TGZ, TXZ, TZ, UU, UUE, WZCLOUD, XXE, XZ, Z, ZIP, ZIPX.
The installation process is very fast and easy. Just five clicks and the program is installed.
Do not forget to decline the Opera browser installation if you do not need/want it!
WinZip 19 has a so called ribbon interface, i.e. it consists of a set of toolbars placed on several tabs. They are very conveniently grouped and organized. There are quite a few tabs in the program: 1. Create/Share, 2. Copy to, 3. Backup, 4. Tools, 5. Settings, 6. View, 7.Help, 8. Buy now.
The tab Create /Share is divided into five sections
1.Convert files as they are added
Encrypt– If your zip file contains sensitive or confidential data you can encrypt it with a password. The program supports three encryption methods with different strengths- Legacy encryption, 128 and 256-bit AES-Advanced Encryption Standard;
Resize Photos– You can resize photos before zipping them in order to make them smaller from 1920×1080 down to 640×80. WinZip supports the following graphic file types- BMP, DIB, EXIF, GIF, JPG, PNG and TIF;
Convert to PDF– The following files will be converted to PDF-DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPTX if you choose to use this tool. Additionally you are able to set three options-Remove word comments, make the PDF read-only, remove word markup; you can also customize image resolution from low to high and JPG quality from lowest to highest;
Watermark– you can watermark a graphic files before zipping! This can be essential for protecting them from unauthorized copying and distribution. The following image files are supported-BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG and TIF. In addition you can perform some basic operations- place your watermark in the center, on the left or right, etc., choose its direction, select desired font, include a date and time stamp);
2. Add to Zip (From PC or cloud– you can add files for zipping to the program directly from your computer or from cloud services and FTP.
Currently WinZip supports the following cloud services:
- SugarSync- https://www.sugarsync.com/
- OneDrive- https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-gb/
- MediaFire- https://www.mediafire.com/
- Google Drive- https://www.google.com/drive/
- Dropbox- https://www.dropbox.com/
- CloudMe- https://www.cloudme.com/en/
- Box- https://www.box.com/en_GB/home/
- ZipShare- https://www.zipshare.com/
3. Save (To PC or Cloud)- You can save zipped files on your computer or send them to any of above-mentioned cloud services);
4. Share (Email)- Winzip allows you to mail the created zipped file immediately after its creation as an attachment. It supports the following email services by default- Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and Outlook, but you can easily customize preferred email services, i.e. to add a new account, remove an old one, etc.;
Social Media– Instantly share created zip files by adding them to well-known social media sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
What to Share– Here you can configure where to send files, from the computer or even any of the supported cloud services);
5. Express Add-ons (You can enhance the program with WinZip add-ons. Currently WinZip has special add-ons for Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, SharePoint and for photos. They greatly increase the functionality of the program enriching it with a lot of useful and important features but unfortunately you must pay an additional fee-$12.95 for each add-on.
In the second tab, Copy to, you can unzip the file(s) onto the computer or send them to cloud services and FTP. You can choose all files or only the selected files for unzipping.
The third tab, Backup, is divided into three section- 1.Predefined Backups, 2.Custom Backups (in these sections you can run a WinZip backup to zip and backup your Documents, Documents Library and Outlook contents; moreover, you can additionally zip common folders on your system. Backup is an essential feature of WinZip because these backup files can be saved elsewhere and kept on hand in case your system runs into problems) and 3. Photo Gadgets (WinZip can add and compress the images directly from cameras. Just connect a camera and the program creates a WinZip file from all your photos).
The fourth tab, Tools, is divided into five sections
1. Make (Allows you to split a large zip file into smaller parts; create self-extracting files and build UUEncoded files for use on mail systems that do not support binary email),
2. Convert (You can set the encryption type and choose conversion methods to apply to the files);
3.Show (You can see the previously output zip file; add comments to it; view zip properties (space savings, number of files, total size before and after creation, date and time of compression), get detailed information about the last zipped file);
4. Downloads allows you to unzip files and try them out before keeping them or unzip the file with the program and automatically install it.
5. Utilities (The program has a built-in [but sold separately] utility called Performance Scan. It scans the computer for performance issues and wasted space, i.e. junk files and folders, Internet and privacy traces, registry errors and fragments. Unfortunately you are not able to fix the problems it finds; the program instead suggests you buy WinZip System Utilities for $39.95).
The fifth tab, Settings, is divided into three sections
1. Multi-part Zip file (Split zip files into smaller parts. For example, so that they will easily fit onto a CD-700Mb or DVD-4700Mb. You can also manually select a preferred split file size);
2. Zip (Choose one of the compression methods for Zip (maximum, enhance, deflate, super- fast, no compression) and Zipx ( Best,BZip, LZMA,PPMD, XZ, Maximum, Enhanced Deflate, Super-sat, No Compression));
3. Configure (Here you can change conversion settings- encryption, PDF conversion, etc., social media, instant media, cloud services settings (for example, Facebook or Jabber settings; set a default cloud and share service), and WinZip options- View, Folders, System, Explore enhancements, etc.
The sixth tab, View, allows you to change the look of the main WinZip window- display, panes, layouts, windows and view.
The seventh tab, Help, contains information about the program (knowledge base, hints and tips along with frequently asked questions). Here you can view the current version of the program, check for updates and visit the official WinZip page.
The eighth tab Buy Now: With this you can buy or register the program and get additional add-ons.
1. A large variety of supported languages
2. A huge number of supported formats and algorithms
3. Support for 128 and 256-bit AES encryption
4. Records zip archives directly to CD and DVD
5. Support for FTP protocol
6. Send archives via emails
7. Support for cloud services and other online resources
8. Backup function
1. The program offers to install the Opera browser
2. Very annoying toolbar in the program interface “Buy now”